Get Out and Try Something New in Your Work



I know many people who talk a lot about their dream jobs. They may be 60 or 70 years old, but they’ve never done it! They say, “I’m aiming to do this.” When are you going to stop aiming and pull the trigger? You may say, “I’m waiting for my ship to come in.” It’s not coming in! You’ve got to swim out to it.

Stop using all these excuses. You just need to get out and try something!

Some people would like a little questionnaire where they can check off the boxes that will tell them what God wants them to do. They think that will tell them their dream job and life mission.

That questionnaire doesn’t exist. There may be some that seem similar, but they don’t work completely. Why? Because you have talents you don’t even know you’ve got. The reason you don’t know you’ve got those talents is because you’ve never used them. You can take all the tests in the world, but your talent may not show up because you’ve never tried it.

Before I became a pastor, I was a worship leader. I played guitar and had garage bands in high school and college. When I gave my life to Christ, I traveled and led worship at a lot of churches. I really had a heart for music and love to sing. The only problem was, nobody loved listening to me. I was what you call one of those prison singers — always behind a few bars and never with the right key. I was the perfect example of the fact that just because you desire to do something doesn’t mean you’re shaped for it.

I tried leading worship, and it didn’t work. Then I got invited to speak and discovered I was pretty good at it, and others thought so, too. With the affirmation of other people, I went in that direction.

Ecclesiastes 5:7 says, “Dreaming instead of doing is foolishness, and there is ruin in a flood of empty words” (TLB).

Maybe you’ve got a dream job that you’re always talking about, but you never do anything about it. Dreaming without working is foolishness. You’ve got to experiment and test until you figure out what God shaped you to do — your dream job. Then, go do it.

Talk It Over
  • How are you using your skills and talent to reach your potential in your career?
  • What is one job you’ve always wanted to try but haven’t? Why do you think you would enjoy it or be good at it?
  • Why do you think God wants you to be content while still trying new things?
~ Written by: Rick Warren ~
~ Modified by: Oleg Fabyanchuk ~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Obedience Without Anxiety

Why Nagging Never Works

The Light in the Dark Times